Wednesday, January 05, 2005

From the Mouth of Tom deLay

Via Eschaton and Amcop (I don't want to spell out the full name of this blog here...), this is what the very religious deLay decided to read aloud in the live telecast of the 109th Congressional Prayer Service at a church on Capitol Hill:


"Matthew 7:21. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name done many wonderful works?
23. And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
24. Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
25. And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
26. And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
27. And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
28. And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:
29. For he taught them as [one] having authority, and not as the scribes."


There! Now no-one can say that I don't quote the Bible. The bolding shows what deLay himself chose to stress. Given the timing of this reading, Mr. deLay must be a Very Bad Person. No ifs or buts about it.

But he is also a Very Bad Person In Power, and we have allowed that to happen.

It seems that I was a bit premature earlier when I argued that it's no longer possible to interpret natural catastrophies as God's punishment for the sins of human beings. If your name is Tom deLay, that's the proper interpretation, and the reason we had no tsunami in Murka is because there are an adequate number of deLays here.